Sunday 10 May 2015

Final 6 Images

I chose this image for my final set because I thought it was a great establishing image. It shows the close relationship of the group and also clearly shows their activity. Also, every person is very clear in the water, there are no distractions such as rocks.

Having said this, after speaking to a group of other photographers, we came to the conclusion that having rocks/something else relevant to their activity in the shot may add to it, especially for an establishing image. As it stands, we decided there may not be enough context in the frame to make it a really good establishing image. After this further thought, I still really like the image and with a strong caption, I think it would still work well as an establishing image.




I really like this image due to the action. I took this photograph when Simon, the leader went down to check whether it was safe to enter the water at this point. As he got down there a large wave broke onto the rocks and sent up a big spray, this made for a dynamic and exciting image.

I think this photo shows a side of coasteering which people do not often think about, the traveling from one jumping spot to another, therefore it is informative which is very important.

The only part of this image I would change is possibly cropping the man in the left of the frame out. I don't think his presence adds to the image, therefore he is just a distraction from my main subject right in the centre of the frame.




This is another image that could be an establishing image. After looking at my set, I decided it was more of a transition photo that should go in the middle of the set. This is because the image shows the group walking, climbing from one jumping spot to the next.

I saw this shot when walking with the group and allowed them to get in front in order to take it. I used an out crop of rock that they had passed in order to create a frame within a frame.

At first I shot the image in this way simply for aesthetics. Whilst going through my edit, I noticed a more 'story telling' feature of it, being the transition from one place to the other which I the main reason why I included it in my final 6 images.





I really struggled to find a jumping shot that I was pleased with and had to work really hard to get one at all during the shoot. The whole idea of coasteering is jumping off cliffs into water. The conditions on the day I shot were very rough as you can see from the set. Therefore, the group were very limited to how much they could jump in. This is the only spot where they could enter the water but it was still quite dangerous so only a few jumped. This meant I had a very limited number of chances to get the shot I wanted.

I chose this photograph over the others similar because it shows 3 aspects of the sport in one. The main subject is clearly the man jumping off the rock into the water. On the right of the frame I included the other people waiting to jump in and dropped slightly out of focus in the background is someone swimming after jumping in. This makes this image very informative and tells us a lot about the sport which is what I was aiming to do.








This is an image of 2 of the instructors doing a practice save. The boy wearing the blue helmet had jumped in, faking a shoulder injury. The boy in the black helmet was assisting to get him out of the water.

I love the action in this photograph of the clearly very rough conditions that the boys were practicing the rescue in. This makes it dramatic and exiting, therefore engaging for the viewer.

It took me a lot of experimenting to decide whether to crop the image tighter than I had. I decided against it because I wanted to include lots of the environment around them to show how extreme the situation was.














This is the final image of the set. I felt it added closure because the man is climbing back out of the water, to show the end of the activity.

It took me several attempts to get the shot I wanted here because the group were doing an exercise where they were working as a team to help people out of the water. I had to quickly try and work my way between people to get a shot and then back out again before I got in the way. I had to do this several times before getting an image where my subject wasn't obstructed by other members of the group.

Having said this, the only part of the image I do not like is the hand in the right hand side of the frame. Despite what I said further up, I found it almost impossible to get a completely clean frame. This was the best out of my attempts because my subject hasn't been obstructed but I still feel that the hand is a slight distraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment