Thursday 15 January 2015

Final 4 Images - Portrait Element - Female

Formal Portrait:
This is the shot I have decided to use for my formal portrait. I shot this using the ambient light that was coming through the large window behind me. At first I used a flash but I preferred the effect of the natural light when I was editing down. Laura was wearing her mask which protected her from the evaporated water containing dye. The vibrance of her eyes and the mask make this image unique.

The darkness in the background of the room gives off a studio feel. Having said this, this image was made with no artificial lighting, reflectors or any use of a studio.

I struggled to chose this image out of two potential ones. The other that I did not choose for the final set (shown below) I liked but the lighting wasn't quite right for me and the background did not offer anything and was more of a distraction than anything.




Detailed Portrait:
This is the image I chose for my detailed portrait which is Laura stirring salt and water to add to her dye and fabric mix. The detail in the cup and gloves show nice contrast against the dark background.

I had another detailed portrait very similar to this one but more tightly framed where you could not see so much of the background. I did not like that shot as much because it was quite boring. The background, although not adding much more information other than knowing that Laura is wearing a lab coat makes the image more aesthetic.

I used a flash in this image because I was blocking the only light source. I shot in portrait so used the white wall to the right of me to bounce the light off to ensure the result wasn't harsh.










Environmental Portrait:
I feel that this image shows the environment Laura was working in best. There are aspects of the room that I did not include but I did not feel that these added any information and instead distracted from the more important parts where Laura was working. I again shot this using ambient light because the large window behind me offered enough warm light to not use a flash.

An aspect of the image I really like is that Laura is looking past me and it feels as though she doesn't know I am there. Obviously this is not the case as the shoot was arranged but this is the feeling I get from the image which I think makes any image more powerful if it feels like the photographer isn't there.

In the image, you can clearly see, the sinks Laura is working in, the pots of dye, the sale and parts of the room making this my best option for an environmental portrait from the shoot.














Observed Portrait:
I chose this image as my observed portrait because it clearly shows me, the photographer, 'observing' Laura work. In this image she is mixing her fabric, hot water, dye and salt together.

This is the image where it was most important for me to use my flash. I was shooting towards the window which is where all of the natural light I was using was coming from so without a flash I would have found it impossible balance the exposure in the foreground and background of the image. Therefore, I needed the flash to brighten the foreground/Laura.

It took me several test shots to get the exposure about right in throughout the image but after changing camera and flash setting I settled with this shot. Although it is clear I have used a flash, I do not think that it is effects the image badly. I think it is only noticeable because the main light source is clearly on the other side of my subject meaning that the side being shot should naturally be in shadow.









No comments:

Post a Comment